We have over 5000 posters in our collection, documenting Australian LGBTIQ+ life from the 1970s onwards. Notable subject areas held include gay liberation, protests, pride festivals, nightclubs, dance parties and HIV/AIDS education material. The Poster Collection also incorporates our holdings of protest placards. The collection includes a number of international LGBTIQ+ posters, most notably HIV/AIDS educational posters from the USA and Germany.
In addition to our main collection, we hold a number of formed poster collections including:
- Ian Malloy Collection: Australian HIV/AIDS education, gay rights activism, and Canberra LGBTIQ+ life
- David McDiarmid Collection: Posters designed by McDiarmid
- Grant Kilby Collection: The Sydney and American leather scenes including two original poster designs by Allan Booth
- Les Smith Collection: Posters documenting this Brisbane-based DJ’s career
- Beige Design (Chris Orr and Paul Clifton) Collection: Posters designed by this graphic design duo for Melbourne dance parties.