Melburnians may be interested to hear that the Victorian AIDS Council is celebrating its 30th anniversary this year with a series of special events.
- A poster exhibition, Passion: 30 Years of Safe Sex, from 12 July to 16 August at the Public Record Office Victoria (99 Shiel Street, North Melbourne). The exhibition is curated by ALGA. PROV operating hours are Monday–Friday 10 am – 4.30 pm and every second Saturday. For information about PROV visit their website: prov.vic.gov.au.
- A lecture series complementing the poster exhibition – all held at PROV at 6.30 pm:
- Friday 12 July – Adam Carr presents The Courage of our Convictions: Lessons from the AIDS Panic of the 1980s
- Friday 19 July – Bernard Gardiner presents The Lazarus Transformation – the 1990s
- Tuesday 23 July – Tex McKenzie presents An Unexpected Journey – the 2000s and Beyond
- There will be a guided tour of the poster exhibition by the curators after each of the lectures.
- To register for any (or all) of the lectures, RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
- A special function, VAC to the Future, at the Laird Hotel, 149 Gipps Street Abbostsford, on Saturday 13 July, 12.30 pm – 3.30 pm. Everyone welcome. RSVP to email@example.com for catering. At 2 pm there will be an unveiling of a plaque remembering the night at the Laird Hotel when, 30 years ago, 70 people gathered to establish the Victorian AIDS Action Committee as the united voice of the community on AIDS.
- A commissioned history (Under the Red Ribbon) to be launched Saturday 27 July, 2.30 pm – 5 pm at the Positive Living Centre. Everyone’s welcome, but RSVP essential by Tuesday 23 July to firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 9865 6700.
Further details on all events are at www.vicaids.asn.au/30years.
NB some of these events require an RSVP to VAC (note, not to ALGA).