The Australian Lesbian and Gay Archives is pleased to announce that registration for our 2019 History Conference, “Before Mardi Gras: Gay + in the 1970s” is now open.
The conference will be held at the Australian National University, Canberra, on Friday 15 & Saturday 16 November, with the welcome reception and book launch on Thursday 14.
This year’s conference takes place shortly after the 50th anniversary of the formation of the Homosexual Law Reform Society of the ACT, the first organisation to campaign for homosexual rights in Australia. The coming year also sees the anniversaries of the Daughters of Bilitis/Australasian Lesbian Movement (Melbourne, January 1970) and the Campaign Against Moral Persecution (Sydney, mid-1970).
Registration is $100 for waged/non-members, and $60 for concession holders/ALGA members. Register at Register Now
The provisional conference program is now available
- Friday 15th of November 2019
- Saturday 16th of November 2019
- Download the complete conference program (pdf)
There are a number of LGBTI+ events adjacent to the conference that participants may also like to attend:
- Graham Willett’s latest book, ACTing Out, on Canberra’s queer history, is being launched at 6pm on Thursday 14 November at Harry Hartog Booksellers, 153-11 University Avenue, ANU, Acton, ACT 2601;
- The Humanities Research Centre at ANU is presenting a conference, Queer Displacements: Sexuality, Migration & Exile at ANU on Thursday 14 to Friday 15 November; and,
- Springout festival presents the annual free YES! Fest street party, on Lonsdale St, Braddon, on the afternoon and evening of Saturday 16 November.